








Long story short, I'm going to Philmont this summer with a venturing crew as a female trip leader, and we've been training with several hikes on the weekend. On one of these hikes, the crew and I + Paxton, Deuce, and Bentley headed to Sypsey, AL. Excited to get hiking, we started out on this beautiful hiking trail next to a waterfall. As time went on, we found ourselves bush whacking through the woods, having lost the trail or something like that. (Paxton and I were just following the orienteers.) It came time to setup camp, not at the expected campsite. We had to make our own campsite, go to the bathroom in the woods, no running water, that sort of thing. It was also tick infested. The next morning, we packed up camp and bush whacked our way back to the car. Another thing that made this hike so interesting was the terrain. We were hiking near the river and most of the ground was soft mud. We had to climb up and down steep hills which resulted in lots of slipping, face and body planting in the mud (I body planted, laughing on the way down.) We made it home safely, and Deuce and Bentley are pooped. They had a blast, and Deuce loves his pack (he carried all of his and Bentley's food, water, and leashes.)
No comments:
Post a Comment